One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of synthetic materials which are polymers with a chemical structure based on chains of alternate silicon and oxygen atoms, with organic groups attached to the silicon atoms. Such compounds are typically resistant to chemical attack and insensitive to temperature changes and are used to make rubber and plastics and in polishes and lubricants.as modifier ‘silicone rubber’‘modern plastics and silicones’
- ‘A bung, made of glass, plastic, rubber, earthenware, silicone, or wood, is a barrel's stopper, analogous to the cork of a bottle.’
- ‘Because they are lubricious, the silicones are easily inserted and removed with little discomfort and tissue trauma, and infection rates are thus decreased.’
- ‘Depending on the type and location of the flashings, roofing tar or silicone or butyl rubber sealants can be used to seal small cracks and gaps.’
- ‘Among the plastics materials used for prostheses, silicone elastomers, also known as silicon rubber or silicones, have been particularly favoured as they combine flexibility with chemical and thus physiological inertness.’
- ‘The effect of surface energy on adhesion is often studied by employing widely different materials, ranging from urethanes and epoxies (high energy), to silicones and fluorinated materials (low energy).’
Join or otherwise treat (something) with a silicone.‘the raised planting shelf could be siliconed to the back of the tank’
- ‘Carrier siliconed the unit onto the trolley's roof near a wire run.’
- ‘I even siliconed all the gaps and sized the tank using an impressive combination of manufacturers tables, data from the Bureau of Meteorology and sneaking a look at other tanks down our street.’
- ‘A circular mirror from Myra Glass was attached to the back wall to reflect tall plants in a gold pot, while a gothic shaped mirror was siliconed directly to the wall above the fireplace.’
- ‘Then we superglued and siliconed the whole shebang together.’
- ‘While Mr. Nesbitt claimed the windows were siliconed shut, there was no such evidence as the holidaymaker had all the windows opened.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.