One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without making any sound.‘she sobbed silently in the corner’‘he silently cursed himself for his actions’
- ‘The camera is set up in a rural setting and pans silently across the flat horizon.’
- ‘We will not stand by silently watching the destruction of the country and the people.’
- ‘He nodded silently, scanning the paintings with impenetrable eyes.’
- ‘Maybe he's just silently trying to remember his lines.’
- ‘He silently pointed up and I nodded.’
- ‘Carter is talkative, though there are a few gaps where he sits silently watching the film.’
- ‘The main part of the film presents static, close-up images of two sports managers sitting silently on the sidelines of a football field in Krakow.’
- ‘With open mouths, they silently glared at one another across the radii of the circle.’
- ‘Silently, an immense silhouetted squirrel crouches on its haunches munching on a nut.’
- ‘The victorious king, the living Apollo, stands silently with his court contemplating the dying dragon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.