One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without making any sound.‘she sobbed silently in the corner’‘he silently cursed himself for his actions’
- ‘The main part of the film presents static, close-up images of two sports managers sitting silently on the sidelines of a football field in Krakow.’
- ‘Silently, an immense silhouetted squirrel crouches on its haunches munching on a nut.’
- ‘He nodded silently, scanning the paintings with impenetrable eyes.’
- ‘He silently pointed up and I nodded.’
- ‘The camera is set up in a rural setting and pans silently across the flat horizon.’
- ‘The victorious king, the living Apollo, stands silently with his court contemplating the dying dragon.’
- ‘With open mouths, they silently glared at one another across the radii of the circle.’
- ‘Carter is talkative, though there are a few gaps where he sits silently watching the film.’
- ‘Maybe he's just silently trying to remember his lines.’
- ‘We will not stand by silently watching the destruction of the country and the people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.