One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traffic-control device in the form of a raised dome set into a road surface at junctions and on corners to control speed and positioning.‘the silent policeman is visible in the middle of Chestnut Street’
- ‘They intended the silent policeman to expedite traffic, but it did not.’
- ‘In an effort to control traffic flow, many towns installed a silent policeman.’
- ‘The silent policeman is visible in the middle of the street.’
- ‘One of his wheels hit the right hand side of the silent policeman.’
- ‘There is to be a silent policeman at the intersection of the two highways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.