One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An adherent of Sikhism.
- ‘An important ceremony for the Sikhs is the baptism, or initiation into the Sikh religion.’
- ‘Muslims in India headed en masse for Pakistan, while Hindus and Sikhs made their way in the opposite direction.’
- ‘The Sikh Coalition would also like to encourage all Sikhs to wear the kirpan freely.’
- ‘At night Sikhs illuminated and decorated their houses and Gurdwaras with candles and electric lights.’
- ‘I was told he was from the anjuman of Sikhs who travel around reciting marsia and salam in the traditions of Muharram.’
- ‘Although idol worship is not indicated in Sikhism, many Sikhs attend Hindu temples.’
- ‘Although the Sikh God is beyond description Sikhs feel able to pray to God as a person and a friend who cares for them.’
- ‘The secretary said that in the case of Sikhs, turban is unique compared to other religions.’
- ‘We later learned that they were properly called Sikhs and all had the same last name, Singh.’
- ‘About 60 per cent of the voters are Jat Sikhs who normally vote for the Akali Dal.’
- ‘Guru Nanak Dev, founder of the Sikhs, is said to have been influenced by both Hindu and Sufi saints.’
Relating to Sikhs or Sikhism.
- ‘Harbans recently met his brothers by chance at Lahore during a pilgrimage tour to Sikh shrines in Pakistan.’
- ‘Born in Malaysia to a family of Sikh performers, he now lives in Adelaide.’
- ‘At the temples, Hindu and Sikh pilgrims wrap rice in a thin pink scarf and place it in the water to be cooked, blessed and then eaten.’
- ‘And here, too, places of worship sprout, Hindu and Buddhist temples, mosques and Sikh gurudwaras.’
- ‘The presentations focused on general principles and beliefs of Sikhism and the Sikh identity.’
- ‘As recently as the nineteenth century, much of the area was united under the Sikh nation of Ranjit Singh.’
- ‘Maestro of Sikh music, Dya Singh performs a special concert in Byron.’
- ‘The gurudwaras, or Sikh temples, have always been decorated with pictures of Hindu devas and devis.’
- ‘The turbans of the doormen are the indigo of Sikh warriors, their tunics have sashes in lipstick vermilion.’
- ‘This is the communal food hall found in any Sikh temple.’
- ‘In addition, the Sikh Sabha movement produced a revival in Sikh culture, language, and literature.’
- ‘The highest proportion of Sikh people was in Bradford North, while Shipley has the highest number of people who said they did not follow a religion.’
- ‘Tucked between the Kodandarama temple and Manchala Street, it is home to a handful of Sikh families.’
- ‘London is the hub of the Indian community and culture in Europe, and home to the largest Hindu and Sikh temples outside India.’
- ‘Phulkaris and baghs are commonly worn by Hindu and Sikh women all over Punjab mainly during festivals.’
- ‘Silinder Pardesi started his singing career at a very young age, singing in Sikh temples and being influenced by his idol Mohd.’
- ‘This month Gravesend's Sikh community is celebrating its most important festival Vaisahki, the birth of its religion.’
- ‘This hymn-singing is called Kirtan, and is an essential part of Sikh worship.’
- ‘He is an Indian national of Sikh origin from Punjab.’
- ‘I noticed a number of Sikh families among the pilgrims and decided to approach them.’
From Punjabi ‘disciple’, from Sanskrit śiṣya.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.