One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A distinctive piece of music associated with a particular programme or performer on television or radio.
- ‘A standard part of Wagner's style was the leitmotif, which is, at a very basic level, a signature tune that comes from the orchestra, denoting the psychological situation on stage.’
- ‘To count the birds, scientists have to record the signature tune of each male in a pair, to tell them apart.’
- ‘The more skillful the ad, the more memorable its signature tune, the deeper the impression it creates.’
- ‘For the past 40 years, the man behind the instantly-recognisable opening bars of the soap opera's signature tune has modestly kept quiet about his claim to fame.’
- ‘The Sleeping Beauty has long been considered the signature tune of Britain's Royal Ballet.’
- ‘Strong chorus-singing steals the show on John Collier, while the signature tune is toe-tapping stuff - bluesy, ballsy and a frenzy of feathers and glitz.’
- ‘The music chosen as the station signature tune and used for the first twelve years of daily start-up routines was almost jolly, but retained a strong regional flavour.’
- ‘The world-class clarinetist claims the unique achievement of having the first ever simultaneous number one in Britain and the USA with his unforgettable signature tune, Stranger on the Shore.’
- ‘In the 1920s and 30s, when broadcasting, dance bands and light orchestras commonly used a signature tune, frequently played at the end of a programme and sometimes at the beginning.’
- ‘One of these people turns out to be the official Artist In Residence for the band Alabama Three, who are best known for doing the signature tune for The Sopranos.’
- ‘Lotis auditioned with Get Happy, a song which remains his signature tune to this day and was booked for the show within an hour.’
- ‘Tully adopted the Harry Belafonte calypso hit of the late 1950s Yellow Bird as his signature tune - it is a song that will always be associated with Tully Curry by those who knew him.’
- ‘The announcer would say a quick ‘good afternoon to you ‘and the final verse of the station signature tune would be heard with clock mixing to company symbol over the final fanfare.’’
- ‘For an encore he sang Ghost Riders in the Sky; it became his signature tune.’
- ‘The waltz is certainly the signature tune of Vienna.’
- ‘Now, Glenn Miller as every jazz enthusiast will know, is the legendary U.S. trombonist and bandleader whose signature tune was Moonlight Serenade.’
- ‘‘Her signature tune was ‘Softly Wakes My Heart’, from Samson et Dalila,’ he says.’
- ‘Whitfield had to again step aside for the next year-and-a-half as Smokey Robinson cranked out hit after hit for the group including their signature tune, ‘My Girl.’’
- ‘Radio 3 just played the Dolly Suite which, as all you people of a certain age will know, was the signature tune for Listen With Mother.’
- ‘Here her signature tune is a heartbreaking lament of missed opportunities, but it is just one of 26 songs on this lavish double album - among them the definitive renditions of That's Entertainment!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.