One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Conclude a letter, broadcast, or other message.‘he signed off with a few words of advice’
- ‘The letter signs off with ‘I have no doubt we can look forward to your continued cooperation and support’.’
- ‘She ended her message by saying: ‘Now I need to sign off or I will be cycling home in the dark with no lights!’’
- ‘They were signing off for the season at the end of the broadcast last night.’
- ‘At the end of every message that you post, you can sign off by mentioning your name and the URL of your web site.’
- ‘I did a broadcast in which I said, I'm signing off now because there's a censor standing there and I'm not supposed to say something and I'd rather say nothing.’
- ‘It has been my honor to serve you this year, but before I sign off, I have one more message to share with you.’
- ‘It was their farewell message as they signed off.’
- ‘I will sign off now with a honest, true and heartfelt message from Britain.’
- ‘‘Our customers end up saving more and getting a lot more than yours do,’ said the letter before signing off as ‘Your friends at Wanadoo’.’
- ‘When posting a message, remember to sign off with your name, followed by CPA, Esq. or both, public practice or industry and your city.’
- 1.1 Conclude an activity.‘he signed off from school athletics with a double in the shot’
- ‘On February 2nd, 1992, the Judge signs off his adjudication of the five year case.’
- ‘Meanwhile, good luck to Linda who signed off from AM this morning and heads to London with her partner.’
- ‘He signed off from the Army in October 1991 and is due to leave in October 1992.’
- ‘He had initially envisaged signing off more than two decades of international competition when having his fourth and final crack at the World Masters.’
- ‘In 1891/92 he signed off from big cricket with the wicket of WG Grace in a game with Lord Sheffield's team.’
- 1.2 Sign to record that one is leaving work for the day.‘a colleague saw me home and signed off for me’
- 1.3Bridge Indicate by a conventional bid that one is seeking to end the bidding.
2British Register to stop receiving unemployment benefit after finding work.
- ‘He was unable to find a place on the scheme, despite having no job, because he had been encouraged to sign off as unemployed some years earlier.’
- ‘He added: ‘I would be concerned if individual soldiers are being pressurised into signing off because it's felt that they are a burden and the powers that be want them off the books.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.