One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Conclude a letter, broadcast, or other message.‘he signed off with a few words of advice’
- ‘The letter signs off with ‘I have no doubt we can look forward to your continued cooperation and support’.’
- ‘‘Our customers end up saving more and getting a lot more than yours do,’ said the letter before signing off as ‘Your friends at Wanadoo’.’
- ‘It was their farewell message as they signed off.’
- ‘At the end of every message that you post, you can sign off by mentioning your name and the URL of your web site.’
- ‘When posting a message, remember to sign off with your name, followed by CPA, Esq. or both, public practice or industry and your city.’
- ‘I will sign off now with a honest, true and heartfelt message from Britain.’
- ‘I did a broadcast in which I said, I'm signing off now because there's a censor standing there and I'm not supposed to say something and I'd rather say nothing.’
- ‘They were signing off for the season at the end of the broadcast last night.’
- ‘It has been my honor to serve you this year, but before I sign off, I have one more message to share with you.’
- ‘She ended her message by saying: ‘Now I need to sign off or I will be cycling home in the dark with no lights!’’
- 1.1 Conclude an activity.‘he signed off from school athletics with a double in the shot’
- ‘In 1891/92 he signed off from big cricket with the wicket of WG Grace in a game with Lord Sheffield's team.’
- ‘He had initially envisaged signing off more than two decades of international competition when having his fourth and final crack at the World Masters.’
- ‘Meanwhile, good luck to Linda who signed off from AM this morning and heads to London with her partner.’
- ‘On February 2nd, 1992, the Judge signs off his adjudication of the five year case.’
- ‘He signed off from the Army in October 1991 and is due to leave in October 1992.’
- 1.2 Sign to record that one is leaving work for the day.‘a colleague saw me home and signed off for me’
- 1.3Bridge Indicate by a conventional bid that one is seeking to end the bidding.
2British Register to stop receiving unemployment benefit after finding work.
- ‘He added: ‘I would be concerned if individual soldiers are being pressurised into signing off because it's felt that they are a burden and the powers that be want them off the books.’’
- ‘He was unable to find a place on the scheme, despite having no job, because he had been encouraged to sign off as unemployed some years earlier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.