One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The conclusion of a letter, broadcast, etc.‘that was their daily sign-off on the TV show’
- ‘Also, after watching the end of an episode of The Simpsons today, I realised how important the final producers' sign-off has become.’
- ‘There is only their maddening sign-off - ‘Can I do anything else to help you today?’’
- ‘The expletive sign-off might suggest that Burke dashed off her missive in a moment of madness but, in fact, she took an extremely considered approach.’
- ‘The cinema chain polled branch managers of its nearly 100 complexes around Britain to draw up the epitome of verbal sign-offs.’
- ‘And finally… It's back to Peter Sissons, but there's no room for a light-hearted sign-off.’
- ‘I just love Miss Monica Mogoro's sign-off, ‘Until then, I remain with the best’.’
- ‘As a sign-off, Kunhiraman adds with a hint of a naughty smile in his eyes, ‘only technique and skill can be taught, not the art.’’
- ‘And in his sign-off, the veteran journalist took a parting shot at the industry that increasingly values entertainment over news.’
- ‘The signature and date are shown below in a scanned image (and this may be the first time that her sign-off has ever been shown to the public).’
- ‘Murrow's exposure of McCarthy is the central subject of the new film by George Clooney, Good Night, and Good Luck - the title of the movie is taken from Murrow's television sign-off.’
- ‘Ronnie Corbett's much loved chair monologues make a welcome return as does a brand new weekly news update along with the duo's famous sign-off.’
- ‘In a sign-off that had few echoes of a bygone age when BBC radio presenters wore a dinner jacket to address the nation, Zoe Ball trilled: ‘It's over to you, Coxy!’’
- ‘Each meeting ended with her giving the sign-off made famous by the TV series Hill Street Blues: ‘Let's be careful out there.’’
- ‘As a reader notes, I didn't pay sufficient attention to Okrent's sign-off, in which he promises to return after Labor Day.’
- ‘The shows still have glitches, such as sign-offs in which the hosts find they can't announce future guests because they don't have the information in front of them.’
- ‘‘Sincerely,’ ‘Regards’ or other similar sign-offs are rather safe, all-purpose tools borrowed from the world of postal mail.’
A bid indicating that the bidder wishes to end bidding.
- ‘A jump bid to five of the agreed minor is always a sign-off, not a trump ask bid as with a major suit.’
- ‘A five-level response in the agreed suit would be a sign-off.’
- ‘When a player or a pair are consistently involved in strange auctions that end up in the best contract, like bidding 7 after a sign-off and finding a surprise void, ask yourself what prompted their action.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.