Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Examination of the sigmoid colon by means of a flexible tube inserted through the anus.
- ‘If the examination is performed with sedation, it may be helpful to combine it with other procedures such as blood tests, echocardiography, flexible sigmoidoscopy or mammography.’
- ‘Further examination using flexible sigmoidoscopy and/or colonoscopy may be indicated in individual patients.’
- ‘Persons with at least one positive stool card were offered further diagnostic testing that most commonly included barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy or full colonoscopy.’
- ‘Immunological tests and flexible sigmoidoscopy should be evaluated as potential new tests in screening for colorectal cancer.’
- ‘They should receive one or a combination of four screening tests, including fecal occult blood test, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, and barium enema.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.