Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Examination of the sigmoid colon by means of a flexible tube inserted through the anus.
- ‘Persons with at least one positive stool card were offered further diagnostic testing that most commonly included barium enema, flexible sigmoidoscopy or full colonoscopy.’
- ‘They should receive one or a combination of four screening tests, including fecal occult blood test, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, and barium enema.’
- ‘If the examination is performed with sedation, it may be helpful to combine it with other procedures such as blood tests, echocardiography, flexible sigmoidoscopy or mammography.’
- ‘Immunological tests and flexible sigmoidoscopy should be evaluated as potential new tests in screening for colorectal cancer.’
- ‘Further examination using flexible sigmoidoscopy and/or colonoscopy may be indicated in individual patients.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.