The S-shaped last part of the large intestine, leading into the rectum.
- ‘A tiny video camera at its tip allows your doctor to view the inside of your sigmoid colon and rectum, or about two feet of the intestine closest to the rectum.’
- ‘The hindgut develops into the distal third of the transverse colon, the sigmoid colon, rectum, and upper two thirds of the anal canal.’
- ‘The internal iliac arteries supply blood to the sigmoid colon and rectum.’
- ‘Stent delivery using fluoroscopic screening alone seems to be adequate for tumours affecting the distal sigmoid colon and rectum.’
- ‘The rectum originates at the sigmoid colon and terminates at the anus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.