Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who goes sightseeing.‘hordes of sightseers’
tourist, visitor, tripper, holidaymaker, traveller, globetrotterbusybody, gawker, ghoulView synonyms
- ‘And predictions of continued lower tourism dollars could also hurt, as an estimated 20 per cent of restaurant revenues come from wandering sightseers.’
- ‘The Moon River is just one of the boats which ferries tourists and sightseers up and down the river around the year, but the large cruiser has become more than just a mode of transport.’
- ‘Being dwellers on an island which is frequented by a teeming weekend population of sightseers, they have become very used to the tourists and are quite unafraid.’
- ‘With the influx of day-trippers, sightseers, and casual onlookers, Killala became a bustling tourist center, and the recreation of battle scenes aroused particular fascination.’
- ‘For the sightseers, Cebu's tourist spots are abundant.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.