One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pleasing to the eye.‘metal guards can also be used but are less sightly’
good-looking, attractive, nice-looking, handsome, lovely, beautiful, pretty, as pretty as a picture, stunning, striking, arresting, prepossessing, winning, fetching, captivating, bewitching, beguiling, engaging, charming, charismatic, enchanting, appealing, delightful, irresistibleView synonyms
- ‘Veneers might offer a quick-fix Hollywood grin, but braces are making a comeback as technological advances make them more sightly - and more effective.’
- ‘An unlikely mix of Italian Taleggio, pesto, and pine nuts was more sightly and tasted surprisingly smooth.’
- ‘Old railway sleepers have been laid along substantial stretches of the path to Coire Ardair: perhaps not the most sightly solution to the problem, but it has been successful in allowing vegetation on either side to regenerate.’
- ‘A lighted Christmas crib, the hand-craft of John Earley, was donated to the town and positioned in Main Street opposite Mooney's Lounge, and it creates a sightly scene.’
- ‘Even as an open space it would be more sightly than the old glasshouse.’
- ‘The renovation now makes it a sightly scene and one of great respect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.