One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shot made to test that the sights of a firearm are correctly adjusted.
- ‘Before the competition shots, but within the time limit, the shooter may fire an unlimited number of sighting shots at specially marked targets.’
- ‘Casey shot the remanded five sighting shots before waiting for the other and reloading the magazine.’
- ‘There is an immovable sight-in target that allows unlimited sighting shots to get adjustments on target.’
- ‘After a three-minute preparation time, during which the shooters are introduced to the audience, and a five-minute sighting shot period, separate commands are given for each competition shot, with a time limit of 75 seconds per shot.’
- ‘At this stage of the war gunners had to fire ‘sighting shots ' to ensure accuracy before opening a bombardment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.