Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An experimental shot to guide shooters in adjusting their sights.figurative ‘their bid for the company is only a sighting shot’
- ‘Before the competition shots, but within the time limit, the shooter may fire an unlimited number of sighting shots at specially marked targets.’
- ‘Casey shot the remanded five sighting shots before waiting for the other and reloading the magazine.’
- ‘There is an immovable sight-in target that allows unlimited sighting shots to get adjustments on target.’
- ‘At this stage of the war gunners had to fire ‘sighting shots ' to ensure accuracy before opening a bombardment.’
- ‘After a three-minute preparation time, during which the shooters are introduced to the audience, and a five-minute sighting shot period, separate commands are given for each competition shot, with a time limit of 75 seconds per shot.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.