Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instance of seeing or catching sight of something, typically something unusual or rare.‘the reported sightings of a UFO near a Suffolk airbase’
- ‘They blame the city's burgeoning night-time economy for increased sightings of rats.’
- ‘The warnings come after pest control officers reported a surge in calls reporting sightings of rats and mice.’
- ‘There have been reported sightings of Big Cats like pumas and panthers in West Wales and the rest of Britain for years.’
- ‘The spokesman said few sightings of dead fish between Haxby and York had been reported.’
- ‘Even a trip to the beach at La Rochelle yielded sightings of sea holly and sea lavender in nearby sand-dunes.’
- ‘In the past year there have been several reported sightings of the so-called beast.’
- ‘Keighley is now recognised as a UFO hot spot, with dozens of sightings being reported over the years.’
- ‘Rare sightings of him suggest a depressed individual, bloated and forlorn.’
- ‘The Gazette has reported sightings of black big cats as far apart as Calne, Great Bedwyn and Malmesbury.’
- ‘There have been sightings, which are so far unconfirmed, of otters at Shipley and Keighley.’
- ‘This week online clairvoyant Graham Dare provides answers to two spooky spirit sightings.’
- ‘There have been reported sightings of a ghostly figure wandering through the pub in Shirley.’
- ‘Last year the Gazette reported sightings of the creature at the back of Helm Hill and at Natland.’
- ‘The UFO Society had been inundated with phone calls about the unusual sightings.’
- ‘Dolphins are in the area most of the year, with some sightings of whales reported.’
- ‘The hot summer of 2003 has led to more northern sightings of Britain's smallest rodent.’
- ‘The incident room was swamped with thousands of sightings of suspicious green cars across the UK.’
- ‘Rithe points out that tigers have become nocturnal and sightings are very rare.’
- ‘Several cougar sightings have been reported in the Lynn Valley area in the past two weeks.’
- ‘Ghostly sightings at the castle have included a monk on the ancient motte staircase and an apparition of a medieval lady.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.