Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instance of seeing or catching sight of something, typically something unusual or rare:‘the reported sightings of a UFO near a Suffolk airbase’
- ‘The Gazette has reported sightings of black big cats as far apart as Calne, Great Bedwyn and Malmesbury.’
- ‘Several cougar sightings have been reported in the Lynn Valley area in the past two weeks.’
- ‘The incident room was swamped with thousands of sightings of suspicious green cars across the UK.’
- ‘Dolphins are in the area most of the year, with some sightings of whales reported.’
- ‘The warnings come after pest control officers reported a surge in calls reporting sightings of rats and mice.’
- ‘The hot summer of 2003 has led to more northern sightings of Britain's smallest rodent.’
- ‘There have been reported sightings of Big Cats like pumas and panthers in West Wales and the rest of Britain for years.’
- ‘They blame the city's burgeoning night-time economy for increased sightings of rats.’
- ‘Rithe points out that tigers have become nocturnal and sightings are very rare.’
- ‘There have been reported sightings of a ghostly figure wandering through the pub in Shirley.’
- ‘Ghostly sightings at the castle have included a monk on the ancient motte staircase and an apparition of a medieval lady.’
- ‘Keighley is now recognised as a UFO hot spot, with dozens of sightings being reported over the years.’
- ‘The UFO Society had been inundated with phone calls about the unusual sightings.’
- ‘This week online clairvoyant Graham Dare provides answers to two spooky spirit sightings.’
- ‘The spokesman said few sightings of dead fish between Haxby and York had been reported.’
- ‘There have been sightings, which are so far unconfirmed, of otters at Shipley and Keighley.’
- ‘Last year the Gazette reported sightings of the creature at the back of Helm Hill and at Natland.’
- ‘In the past year there have been several reported sightings of the so-called beast.’
- ‘Even a trip to the beach at La Rochelle yielded sightings of sea holly and sea lavender in nearby sand-dunes.’
- ‘Rare sightings of him suggest a depressed individual, bloated and forlorn.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.