One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fungal disease of banana plants characterized by elongated spots on the leaves, which then rot completely.
The fungus is Mycosphaerella musicola, subdivision Ascomycotina
- ‘The genetic uniformity among Cavendish bananas has made them helpless to fight Black Sigatoka.’
- ‘Since bananas are a staple crop and a major export in developing countries, Black Sigatoka is placing a heavy toll on their food security and export economies.’
- ‘Black Sigatoka, also known as black leaf streak, is common on bananas in sub-Saharan Africa.’
- ‘Among the fungal diseases most prominently found in Africa is the Sigatoka complex comprising two types: black and yellow Sigatoka.’
- ‘The first threat is a fungal disease called black Sigatoka, which has become a global epidemic since it first appeared in Fiji in 1963.’
1920s: named after a district in Fiji.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.