An elongated cell in the phloem of a vascular plant, in which the primary wall is perforated by pores through which water is conducted.
- ‘On reaching individual sieve elements of the phloem the terminal hyphae cells differentiate into ‘absorbing hyphae’ which produce finger-like protrusions that surround the sieve element.’
- ‘The host sieve elements of the phloem are lined by haustorial transfer cells of the parasite, which then allow unloading of host phloem solutes into the parasite haustorium.’
- ‘In fact, in several species, sucrose transporters have been identified as essential for phloem loading into sieve elements, the phloem-specific photoassimilate-transporting cells.’
- ‘Little is known about the genetic control of cell type identity leading to the differentiation of vessels, fibres, axial parenchyma cells, sieve elements, or companion cells.’
- ‘In general, rays are regarded as being necessary for the distribution of assimilates and nutrients in a lateral direction between the sieve elements and xylem across the cambial cell layer.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.