One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy gun used in attacking a place under siege.
- ‘On May 27, 1863 Confederate forces had twenty siege guns and thirty pieces of artillery, a major threat to the Union warships.’
- ‘Joe and Liam witnessed the firing of the medieval siege gun, at one o'clock.’
- ‘The Confederate center mounted 16 cannons, including two 24-pounder smoothbore siege guns, one 24-pounder rifled siege gun and a rifled 12-pounder bronze gun.’
- ‘The large siege guns could not be easily moved around, although they did have hastily built earthworks to shelter behind.’
- ‘They were no match for Cromwell's 12,000-strong army and heavy siege guns.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.