One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A heavy gun used in attacking a place under siege.
- ‘On May 27, 1863 Confederate forces had twenty siege guns and thirty pieces of artillery, a major threat to the Union warships.’
- ‘Joe and Liam witnessed the firing of the medieval siege gun, at one o'clock.’
- ‘They were no match for Cromwell's 12,000-strong army and heavy siege guns.’
- ‘The Confederate center mounted 16 cannons, including two 24-pounder smoothbore siege guns, one 24-pounder rifled siege gun and a rifled 12-pounder bronze gun.’
- ‘The large siege guns could not be easily moved around, although they did have hastily built earthworks to shelter behind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.