Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The side of a tyre, typically marked or coloured distinctively.‘radials have the word ‘radial’ on the sidewall’
- ‘The tread portion of the tyre is tough, but the side wall of a radial tyre is notoriously weak.’
- ‘The heavy duty tires on your trucks and trailers have a deep thick sidewall that takes the first impact from the road surface.’
- ‘The coupe's independent suspension is carried over, though the roadster rides on Continental sport contact tires that have a straighter tread and softer sidewall to reduce tire noise.’
- ‘To identify a Kevlar tire, read the writing on the label or sidewall, or ask the salesperson.’
- ‘One procedure called for workers to poke an awl completely through the sidewall of new tires.’
- ‘And avoid those tyres - a sidewall popping at just under 980 miles of usage is pretty terrible, in my opinion.’
- ‘Aspect ratio is the ratio between the width of the tire and the height of its side wall.’
- ‘These tire shredders are incapable of shredding tires in excess of size 17 due to the diameter of the wire in the tire sidewall.’
- ‘If you only use tyres recommended for your car by major manufacturers, you'll probably never glance at the jumble of letters and numbers on the sidewall, and never need to.’
- ‘Mark the spot with a marker or crayon and, if necessary, take some measurements from points such as the ridge or sidewall that will help you locate the leak from the outside.’
- ‘Do I run the risk of blowing out a sidewall on my rims?’
- ‘You will be able to know their date of manufacturing by searching for the three or four-digit number stamped in the tire's sidewall.’
- ‘It's a loser's game to milk ‘just one more ride’ out of worn brake pads, a frayed cable, or tires with a threadbare tread or bulging sidewall.’
- ‘People want to look at the number written on the sidewall of a tire and pump it to that number.’
- ‘Look closely at the cross-section and you'll see a cantilevered ‘corner’ of the tire where the tread and sidewall meet.’
- ‘The sidewall removal machine therefore will remove the sidewall thus enabling the shredding of these tires in the tire shredders.’
- ‘Despite its lower profile, the design of the new sidewall is more compliant over bumps and impacts, which improves ride comfort while reducing noise and isolating the car from road surface imperfections.’
- ‘You'll also find other information on the sidewall such as the type and composition of the tire, the maximum cold inflation and maximum load in pounds.’
- ‘David Murry: ‘Michelin makes a pretty strong sidewall on their tires, I'll say that.’’
- ‘When I was pulling off the old tires to re-glue them (the last owner said the tires hadn't been glued in around five years), the base tape came off from the tire sidewall in a few places.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.