One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A churchwarden's assistant, who performs such duties as showing worshippers to their seats and taking the collection during a church service.
- ‘The Rector thanked the churchwardens, sidesmen, bellringers, church cleaners, guild and all church workers for the assistance they had given during the past year.’
- ‘When he began to spend his weekends in Suffolk, he was regular in his attendance at St Edmunds in Southwold, served as a sidesman and took part in the Parochial Church Council.’
- ‘He was a sidesman there for more than 40 years, welcoming people into the church.’
- ‘He was a member of St Mary's Parochial Church Council, was a sidesman and often read the lessons - and the church benefited from his passion for growing sweet peas.’
- ‘He was also postmaster at Worsley for 30 years and a sidesman at St Mark's Church for 35 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.