One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The period of revolution of one body about another with respect to the distant stars.
- ‘The names of our weekdays, and the fact that there are seven of them, probably reflect astrological assumptions concerning the significance of the sidereal periods of the planets.’
- ‘Each year is still equivalent to the sidereal period of the Earth, one revolution around the Sun.’
- ‘He discovered that in 7 cycles of 12 years, Jupiter had completed seven and one twelfth orbits, giving its sidereal period as 11.859 years (accurate to within one part in 4000).’
- ‘Note that this is not to be confused with the sidereal period, the time for a complete orbit of Venus around the Sun, relative to an observer outside the solar system, which is 224.7 days.’
- ‘Even the sidereal period, the time for a complete orbit of the moon around the Earth, relative to an observer outside the solar system, is 27.322 Earth days, so once again is not a multiple of seven.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.