One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lamp placed at the side of something.
- ‘The Hella lamps seem to usually incorporate the sidelamps, as they used the separate sidelamp nacelles for direction indicator lamps.’
- ‘This energises the headlamps with approximately one-sixth of their normal power so that the vehicle cannot be driven using sidelamps alone.’
- ‘One serves the sidelamps, one the tail and plate lamps and the third goes to the rheostat for the dash lamps.’
- ‘The headlights are acetylene and it has kerosene sidelamps.’
- ‘With the ignition off the sidelamps only come on.’
- ‘Help please - I can find the sidelamps, even touch the back of them, but how on earth do I remove them for replacement?’
- ‘On later cars, (with ‘square’ sidelamps) there is a metal assembly behind the front panel.’
- ‘They are somewhat brighter than sidelamps, but may not be used in situations where full headlamps or dipped lamps are required.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.