Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person's assistant or close associate, especially one who has less authority than that person.‘Sherlock Holmes' bumbling sidekick Watson’
companion, boon companion, bosom friend, best friend, close friend, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, soul mate, alter ego, second self, shadow, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate, ally, comrade, associateView synonyms
- ‘Alvin Crawford and John Criter are hilarious as Falstaff's sidekicks, but Franco Pomponi's voice needs greater heft to make Ford's frequent rages comic.’
- ‘Once upon a time, or at least last summer, fairy-tale ogres and their sidekicks were the golden characters of Hollywood.’
- ‘The wicked stepmother has two sidekicks, Clench and Crunch, and a magician also appears in the July 9-12 production.’
- ‘This is the sort of bravado often uttered by managerial sidekicks, usually only to be jettisoned the moment they graduate to being their own men.’
- ‘This is a straightforward Howard Hawks movie, with group dynamics, colorful sidekicks and an insider shout-out to Sergeant York, of all things.’
- ‘For purpose of plot, Don Lockwood has a humorous sidekick / friend, Cosmo Brown.’
- ‘Figueroa and Tilley play sidekicks to Payne and Repond's characters, respectively.’
- ‘His sidekicks are his toys, which come to life when no one else is around.’
- ‘He uses Tingary, his half-witted sidekick, to assist him in his plots to bring down the jester.’
- ‘All the cast were worth their weight in gold but the audience particularly enjoyed Norman Pace's hapless constable Dogberry and his idiotic sidekicks.’
- ‘When the driver wouldn't sell, the sidekicks turned mean and threatening.’
- ‘Sometimes they come in as sidekicks for the hero or the heroine but most of the time they are insignificant characters going through an earth-shattering crisis while appearing in flashbacks.’
- ‘Eventually, the bully's sidekicks realise things have gone too far and, with Julian's friends, set about getting the bullying stopped.’
- ‘Let her know how important she is to you as a friend, not just as a social sidekick.’
- ‘Others are new to the golfing arena, and platforming fans will be pleased to know that Jak and Ratchet have taken up the game, with their sidekicks acting as caddies for them.’
- ‘But his infamy was sealed by the government's all-out campaign against his hapless sidekicks, falsely portrayed as part of a vast Confederate plot.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.