One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salad served as a side dish.
- ‘Still, the melted Brie was fantastic, and the generous salad garnish - which included fennel, my favourite - could almost have qualified as a side salad.’
- ‘Side orders were uninspiring if traditional, featuring coleslaw, potato salad, boiled potatoes and side salad.’
- ‘After a tureen of home-made fish soup, I gorged on fresh squid, giant prawns barbecued on a spit, with onions, red and green peppers, a crisp side salad and scrumptious French fries.’
- ‘‘I'd like some linguine in a white sauce with a side salad,’ I smiled up at her.’
- ‘The carrots were unforgivably overcooked, and a side salad's dressing was plain olive oil and tasted a bit greasy.’
- ‘Covered in two rich sauces and served with a side salad and chips, the food was gorgeous, complemented by the sauces which were free of any artificial taste.’
- ‘Although tempted by many of the starters, Jayne instead went for a mixed side salad.’
- ‘The confit of duck with salad and haricots blancs was cooked to perfection, although I found the plain beans rather bland and the side salad too salty.’
- ‘Freshly made sandwiches with side salad, coleslaw and potato crisps were priced at £3.50.’
- ‘We serve this dish with a side salad of finely sliced fennel that has been coated with a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice.’
- ‘The ideal way to eat this pizza is slowly, sitting down and with a side salad to provide some fibre and other nutritional goodies.’
- ‘I also ordered a side salad, which was served with a honey vinaigrette.’
- ‘The meal was served with a large side salad and baked potatoes with sour cream.’
- ‘I ordered a double cheeseburger (no mustard) with French fries and a side salad with ranch dressing.’
- ‘Served with a side salad, yoghurt and a chilli sauce with attitude, they were declared nice and spicy and just right.’
- ‘She ordered the shrimp scampi and a side salad, while I ordered a fruit plate.’
- ‘The best part of the main course was the side salad.’
- ‘The side salad was so fresh and wonderful: it was a grain with cucumbers, tomato, onion mixed in all dressed with oil and vinegar.’
- ‘Although it was tasty, Jayne felt the dish lacked imagination and would have benefited from roasted vegetables or a side salad.’
- ‘A side salad of fennel and orange is also most welcome and nicely refreshing after the richness of the cheese.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.