One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pond positioned beside a canal lock in such a way that water can flow into or out of it when the lock is operated.
- ‘Despite its huge side ponds, this flight of broad locks has a history of dire water shortages.’
- ‘On our way up Ivinghoe locks I took a series of photos to illustrate the use of fully-equipped Grand Junction locks, with side ponds and double top-gate-paddles.’
- ‘The water from descending boats is stored in the side ponds for the use of ascending boats.’
- ‘This side pond with sluice is an interesting feature to be found by the top of the top lock at Carreghofa.’
- ‘Fifteen of the locks rise close together in a straight line with wide side ponds to store sufficient water for the locks to operate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.