One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘When the SS China, a wood side-wheel steamer, was brought to Tiburon's marine crematory to be burned for scrap metal, its social saloon and two staterooms were set aside, too beautiful to burn.’
- ‘The first ship bringing these modern argonauts, the ‘Commodore’ - a wooden side-wheel American steamer, entered Victoria harbour on Sunday morning, April 25, 1858, just as the townspeople were returning homeward from church.’
- ‘The Bay State, a side-wheel steamer, grounded off the coast of Maine near Cape Elizabeth on September 24, 1916.’
- ‘Presented is an original oil painting on canvas of a side-wheel steamer painted by an unknown artist.’
- ‘In 1844, the U.S. Navy commissioned its first steam warships, the side-wheel frigates Missouri and Mississippi, which were considered the equal of any European warship then in service.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.