Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of birds with a long, narrow downcurved bill.
- ‘The rat-a-tat-tat of the brown sicklebill could be likened to machine-gun fire.’
- ‘Sicklebills have evolved a long, curved beak used to probe for insects in thick moss and tree bark.’
- ‘I have just returned from 10 days in Panama where my favorite birds were White-tipped sicklebill, Rufous-crested coquette, and Brown-billed scythebill.’
- ‘Champions among these are the two species of sicklebills, whose bills are the only ones that properly slip into flowers of the Andean lobelioids that are bent at a ninety-degree angle.’
- ‘For bird-watching, the park is home to exotic species that can be difficult to view elsewhere, such as violet hummingbirds, white-tipped sicklebills, and orange-bellied trogons.’
- ‘Carved from Lapis Lazuli a duck Egyptians saw a mysterious connection between the sicklebills of the ibises and the crescent moon.’
- ‘The sicklebills are predominantly insectivorous and possess long down-curved bills which they use for digging insects out of rotten wood, or from behind bark.’
- ‘Then experience the completely different habitats of El Valle, searching for orange - bellied trogons, black - crowned antpittas, white-tipped sicklebills & the like.’
- ‘Some species, such as the blue bird of paradise and the black sicklebill, are hunted for their beautiful, bright plumage and/or skins; others are hunted for food.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.