One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the long middle feathers of a cock's tail.
- ‘The males are ‘hen feathered’, having none of the long sickle feathers belonging to males of other breeds.’
- ‘These smaller sickle feathers are much like the main sickles but are shorter.’
- ‘Large and strong with long sickle feathers and side hangers.’
- ‘Rear part of its back presents a very distinctive look because of large black and white sickle feathers attached with secondary underwing coverts.’
- ‘The tail of a Yokohama is not marked by very long sickle feathers but the well developed saddle feathers.’
- ‘The tail coverts, sickle feathers, and main tail black both in primaries and secondaries.’
- ‘The term hen-cocks is, in consequence, often applied to them; but although the sickle feathers are thus modified, no bird possesses higher courage, or a more gallant carriage.’
- ‘They are characterized by having a beautiful, pheasant-like body with profuse lengthy saddle feathers and long tail furnishings including sickle feathers and side hangers or tail coverts.’
- ‘A portion of the tail does partially molt its sickle feathers annually and the body feathers may molt only every second or third year.’
- ‘They look too small to be sickle feathers at this stage, but might well be.’
- ‘The only fault I can detect from this photo is the top sickle feather has a spot at the base of the feather where the dark barring is missing.’
- ‘The length from the large fowl male's beak to the end of his sickle feather is about 24 inches.’
- ‘Although the sickle feathers in the males took several months for complete growth, it evidently did not interfere with fertility.’
- ‘Then wait until the adult sickle feathers are completely in before they dub the wattles and ear lobes to promote longer tails.’
- ‘It has the right length of sickle feather and also tail carriage.’
- ‘The tail is gracefully accented with long, cardioid curved sickle feathers that drape around their nicely spread tails.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.