One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drying agent used as a component of paint.
- ‘A siccative surely has great value for those of us who live by paint.’
- ‘Traditional siccatives use lead, manganese or cobalt metals to promote oxidation whereas alkyd resin is used in modern driers.’
- ‘Siccatives in paint, varnish and lacquer, although not siccatives containing lead carbonate and lead sulphate 1.’
- ‘This pure cobalt siccative accelerates the oxidative drying of the oil.’
- ‘Tormin reports on a siccative, of which he says that it has been found valuable for floor coatings.’
- ‘The invention relates to a method for preparing a carbon siccative for producing electrodes.’
- ‘Colored metal siccatives can also contribute to the discoloration and/or yellowing of linseed oil.’
- ‘The manganese-based siccative was highly efficient, but the film obtained was poor quality.’
- ‘The friends of deceased immediately informed, orders sent to all stations that xerotine siccative was a dangerous explosive, and should be got rid of at once.’
- ‘The metallic part of the siccative accelerates absorption of atmospheric oxygen, catalyses the formation of free radicals, and the binder reacts - dries more rapidly.’
- ‘However, the crosslinking of drying oils by siccatives to form a so-called varnish is something entirely different from the crosslinking of epoxy resins described in the following.’
- ‘Dryers, or siccatives, can be added to the oil-based paint to speed its drying time.’
- ‘When these driers are dissolved in aliphatic or aromatic hydrocarbons, they are known as siccatives.’
- ‘In the case of a dry sketch, he rubbed this same siccative in before reworking.’
- ‘If they are added, for example, in the form of an emulsion to the binder then hydrolysis of the siccatives often takes place and their reaction products, which are insoluble, settle out.’
Late Middle English: from late Latin siccativus, from siccare ‘to dry’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.