Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tiger of a large and threatened race with a long thick coat, found in SE Siberia and NE China.
- ‘It holds possibly the biggest single contiguous tiger population in the world (rivalled only by the Siberian tigers in the Primorski Krai region of Russia).’
- ‘Larger than Siberian tigers, cave lions once ranged throughout the Northern Hemisphere.’
- ‘In eastern Russia, poachers were killing between 50 to 70 Siberian tigers a year, according to the Save the Tiger Fund.’
- ‘The painter was the shop owner, Cui Delin, a native from Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, home to Siberian tigers in the country.’
- ‘It was not the first time vets from the firm had treated animals in Russia, as partner John Lewis has visited the country about a dozen times to work with Mr Kertesz on Siberian tigers and leopards.’
- ‘Home to six Siberian tigers, the three-acre, $8.5 million Tiger Mountain habitat includes a 10,000 gallon swimming hole featuring a man-made stream and an underground viewing area.’
- ‘As a final party trick, a soldier brings out Kadyrov's two famous pets: a Siberian tiger and a lion cub given to him by friends.’
- ‘Four big cats bounded in, four Siberian tigers.’
- ‘In Northeast China, a Siberian tiger was recently found killed after it fell prey to a trap originally set by the locals for boars.’
- ‘Reserves were created to save critical habitat for endangered species such as the Siberian tiger, saiga antelope, Russian desman and black stork.’
- ‘Wide-ranging and solitary, Siberian tigers rule a domain inhabited by wild boar and elk, which feed on the Korean pine's meaty nuts.’
- ‘The list of the critically endangered include the black rhino and Siberian tiger and the Amur leopard of Asia.’
- ‘Your book focuses on the lions of Gir, the saltwater crocs of Australia's Northern Territory, Romania's brown bears, and Siberian tigers.’
- ‘Millions of dollars go to house artwork in museums, but there are more Rembrandts in the world than there are Siberian tigers.’
- ‘A huge new big cat house contains two endangered Siberian tigers and European lynx.’
- ‘Once herbivore populations have been established, the plan is to acclimatize Siberian tigers, predators whose modern survival is threatened by poaching.’
- ‘A Kansas teenager who was posing for her senior year photo with a Siberian tiger at an animal sanctuary was killed when the big cat suddenly clamped its jaws on her, police said yesterday.’
- ‘Despite persistent threats from logging and poaching, Siberian tigers continue to live in healthy numbers in the frosty, remote forests of Russia, a recent comprehensive survey showed.’
- ‘The Siberian tiger is one of five subspecies of tiger, the others being the Bengal tiger, the South China tiger, the Indo-Chinese tiger and the Sumatran tiger.’
- ‘There was a raccoon and a Siberian tiger in the room.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.