One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large black gibbon native to Sumatra and Malaya.
Hylobates syndactylus, family Hylobatidae
- ‘By contrast, in the closely related and also monogamous siamang male - female allogrooming is reciprocal and symmetrical with males investing more into parental care.’
- ‘During this period 11 to 16 million years ago, known as the Miocene, there was an evolutionary split between the great apes and the lesser apes, which include modern gibbons and siamangs.’
- ‘Superfamily Hominoidea of Primates is divided into two families, Hominidae that consists of human, chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan, and Hylobatidae containing gibbons and siamang.’
- ‘Almost a century later, zoologist CB Kloss discovered what seemed to be a dwarf siamang in the Mentawai islands off Sumatra's west coast.’
- ‘At least in siamang gibbons, new mates have to learn the fine coordination between his part and hers.’
- ‘The siamang is a species of gibbon, so it spends all the time up in the trees and you can see now by the long, long arms suitably adapted for that.’
- ‘The Indonesian Consulate General in Osaka will fly four orang-utans, a siamang gibbon and a moloch gibbon to Indonesia on Feb.2 from the New Kansai International Airport outside Osaka, the agency said.’
- ‘We had a case when a siamang came here and did not want to eat anything.’
- ‘Bangkok has become an international center for illegal wildlife, and a center for ‘laundering ‘wildlife including live cheetahs, tigers, bears, orang-utans, gibbons, and siamangs to disguise their country of origin.’’
- ‘Many smaller animals have also joined the collection: siamang gibbons, provost squirrels, howler monkey, armadillo and the elusive mona monkeys.’
- ‘The siamangs of Indonesia are the largest, weighing up to 14 kg.’
- ‘The price of siamangs could reach $157, which is considerably more expensive than the smaller species of gibbon, whereas a Borneo orangutan could be sold for $406.’
Early 19th century: from Malay.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.