A drug that promotes the secretion of saliva.
- ‘By its sialagogue and stimulant effects upon the gastric membranes it promotes digestion.’
- ‘Treatment is simple and includes resting the voice, along with warm sialogogues for symptom relief.’
- ‘The use of chloral hydrate should be avoided in studies exploring the in vivo responses to sialagogues.’
- ‘It is used as a stimulant in languid states of the system, and as a sialagogue in paralysis of the tongue and mouth.’
- ‘The use of sialogogues in an obstructed or acutely inflamed gland may actually temporarily increase the amount of pain.’
Late 18th century: from French, from Greek sialon ‘saliva’ + agōgos ‘leading’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.