One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or state of being shy.‘gradually he overcame his natural shyness’
bashfulness, diffidence, sheepishness, reserve, reservedness, introversion, reticence, timidity, timidness, timorousness, fearfulness, nervousness, mousiness, apprehension, hesitancy, hesitation, reluctance, doubt, insecurity, wariness, suspicion, chariness, lack of confidence, inhibitedness, constraint, repression, self-effacement, self-consciousness, embarrassment, coyness, demureness, modesty, humility, meeknessView synonyms
- ‘It is quite a hard thing to force myself out of the reticence and sometime shyness that has shadowed me all this time.’
- ‘Kurt has always been one of the nicest people I know, but for a long time he had some problems overcoming his shyness.’
- ‘Lan shut his eyes tight, sinking his head down a little in embarrassment and shyness.’
- ‘Those who mistake the inborn shyness of English people for an impenetrable reserve should visit it.’
- ‘She looked at each pupil without showing any hint of embarrassment or shyness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.