Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A play, game, or inning in which the opposition is prevented from scoring.‘he carried a shutout into the fifth innings’‘a stunning 34-0 shutout’[as modifier] ‘the first Swedish goal snapped a shutout streak of 136 minutes’
- ‘Hershiser tied or shared the league lead in wins, complete games, shutouts, and innings pitched.’
- ‘Blyleven led the league in complete games once, shutouts three times, innings pitched twice and strikeouts once.’
- ‘In San Francisco, Tom Glavine took a shutout into the ninth inning and Jason Phillips homered a day after being recalled from the minors to replace the injured Mike Piazza to lead New York.’
- ‘Amazingly, he took a shutout into the ninth inning before RHP Mike Williams got the final two outs in a 3-0 victory.’
- ‘In their lone game of the week, St Adolphe blanked the Grunthal Red Wings 5-behind the shutout goaltending of Eric Peloquin.’
- ‘And if not for numerous strange goals he allowed this season, the shutout record may have been long shattered.’
- ‘He delivered on the one crucial power play sequence in the third and posted his fourth shutout following a loss in this postseason.’
- ‘Even though Valenzuela led the National League in complete games, shutouts, innings pitched and strikeouts, Seaver, as you mention, had a better won-lost record.’
- ‘Bert led the league that season in innings pitched, complete games, shutouts, and strikeouts.’
- ‘Crew chiefs and team managers started plotting strategy before the season to prevent a shutout from the shoot-out.’
- ‘And since its hard-bitten goaltender turned in three shutouts in the first round, the team's fans have turned rabid in the heat.’
- ‘He was traded to Washington during the 1987-88 season, going 24-20-4 and tying for the league lead with four shutouts.’
- ‘It was the third-most saves by a goalie in a shutout performance since 1990-91.’
- ‘Thanks to them, the Fusion allowed only 19 goals and recorded five shutouts through 16 games, and goalie Nick Rimando was among the league leaders with a 1.04 goals-against average.’
- ‘Once Nebraska stopped that drive, a long run set up the Huskers' 39-yard field goal to avoid the shutout.’
- ‘The triumph also meant a shutout victory for goalkeeper Tim Howard, the first American to play in the final.’
- ‘They want to throw out a runner or maybe catch a shutout.’
- ‘Taylor enjoyed a shutout Tuesday as goals by Edu and Sylvain Wiltord knocked first division Grimsby out of the League Cup.’
- ‘Entering the 2001-02 season, Ed Belfour led all active goalies with 57 shutouts.’
- ‘He set a personal record for shutouts and carried the team much of the first half of the season.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.