Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] The principle of consultation, in particular as applied to government.‘the cooperation of all is the basic pillar of shura’
- ‘After the third/ninth century the concept of shura took more concrete institutional shape in the discourses of Muslim jurists.’
- ‘The shura may take on styles and patterns depending upon the socio-cultural and geographical aspects of a Muslim community.’
- ‘He sees hope in the Islamic tradition of shura, by which a ruler is supposed to seek consultation and consensus before acting.’
- ‘Although the textual sources specify no particular mechanisms of governance, many point to the Quran's emphasis on shura as evidence of the essentially democratic character of Islam.’
- ‘He sees the Islamic principle of shura, or consultation, as identical to democracy and as an idea that can only be achieved incrementally and never fully realized, as in the American case.’
- 1.1[count noun]A consultative council.
- ‘A learned council called a shura selected Abu Bakr, one of the prophet's closest friends and allies.’
- ‘The Afghan shura serves as a forum for women in the community to discuss their concerns and needs, just as a ‘jirga’ serves as an assembly of elder men to solve problems within the community.’
- ‘The committee is designed to complement existing village authorities such as elders and local councils known as shuras.’
- ‘He is assisted by shuras (consultative bodies) which are in charge of the day-to-day running of the country.’
- ‘A shura would meet in the next two days to decide on the strategy for the attack and how many men would be involved, he said.’
From Arabic šūrā consultation.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.