One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘There is nothing shrinkingly timid or demurely unobtrusive about the wooden construction that was built on the grounds of the Nassau County Museum of Fine Art.’
- ‘Unlike so many movie shrinks - especially in comedies - he's not older, bearded. has no German accent and doesn't act shrinkingly.’
- ‘She was always shrinkingly modest with me, but what was wrong was that in it there was always a sort of fear, in short she thought herself something insignificant beside me, something almost unseemly in fact.’
- ‘This book was called ‘enormously sensuous, full of the joy and gusto of life, and shrinkingly sensitive, torn with revulsion and disgust.’’
- ‘Guercino shrinkingly hid his squint in the shadows of his brow in his self-portrait of about 1625, but it is conspicuous in the later portrait by his nephew Benedetto Gennari in the Mahon Collection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.