One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen Mexican shrub with clusters of small flowers in pinkish-brown bracts that are said to resemble shrimps, widely grown as a houseplant.
- ‘We've been told that a yellow-flowering plant we have is a lollipop bush, but it was labeled shrimp plant when we bought it.’
- ‘By now you've begun to appreciate why this is called a ‘flower forest’: flowers are everywhere, from shrimp plants and begonias to orchids and red gingers.’’
- ‘The base of the trees are planted with clivias, cannas, wild rhubarb, agapanthus, shrimp plants.’
- ‘Dunn organizes weekend trips during the semester to sites in Overtown, where students work for eight hours planting bougainvilleas, roses, shrimp plants, and vegetables.’
- ‘A few plants such as bougainvillea and shrimp plants (which bloom with tiny yellow pagodas) flower all year-round, but island gardeners complain that their season is actually quite short.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.