One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen Mexican shrub with clusters of small flowers in pinkish-brown bracts that are said to resemble shrimps, widely grown as a houseplant.
- ‘The base of the trees are planted with clivias, cannas, wild rhubarb, agapanthus, shrimp plants.’
- ‘We've been told that a yellow-flowering plant we have is a lollipop bush, but it was labeled shrimp plant when we bought it.’
- ‘A few plants such as bougainvillea and shrimp plants (which bloom with tiny yellow pagodas) flower all year-round, but island gardeners complain that their season is actually quite short.’
- ‘By now you've begun to appreciate why this is called a ‘flower forest’: flowers are everywhere, from shrimp plants and begonias to orchids and red gingers.’’
- ‘Dunn organizes weekend trips during the semester to sites in Overtown, where students work for eight hours planting bougainvilleas, roses, shrimp plants, and vegetables.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.