One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The shrillness of our ideological debates, the emotional shallowness, the vulgarity of our culture, would have appalled him.’
- ‘With maturity Mariza is singing better than ever, and the slight tendency to shrillness, previously the only flaw in her voice, has now disappeared.’
- ‘This is an increasingly complicated and vital issue, but when handled with such shrillness and heavy-handed irony, the message is soon lost.’
- ‘The rhythm of the engine, the shrillness of the whistle and the lyrical quality of the train trailing off from the place are a part of the lives here.’
- ‘Ruthless editing would have crafted sharp-edged form out of the three hours of exhausting overabundance, infused subtlety into unrelieved shrillness.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.