One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman) bad-tempered or aggressively assertive.‘his shrewish wife’
bad-tempered, quarrelsome, nasty, mean, spiteful, sharp-tongued, scolding, nagging, peevish, catty, snappy, vindictive, aggressiveView synonyms
- ‘Being nasty, rude, shrewish and creepy was very fun to do - I simply pretended to be in a bad mood each time the camera rolled.’
- ‘He is married to a shrewish wife who spends her days in curlers and her nights prostrate in their trashy trailer home.’
- ‘The shrewish Katharina gives her final speech of submission out of real love for Petruchio, apparently because she realizes he's as mixed up as she is.’
- ‘Paul was more than a little depressed with his shrewish wife Zilla, who constantly badgered him, embarrassed him in public, and treated him like a little boy.’
- ‘He intends to woo her perfectly, by telling her how lovely she is, when she looks shrewish, how beautifully she plays, when she makes horrid noises, and more.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.