Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A machine or other device for shredding something.
- ‘The DVD / CD shredder is able to destroy data at a very fast rate - up to 30 DVD / CDs a minute.’
- ‘In general, all garden shredders have a high watt motor and come with silent crushing system.’
- ‘The DVD / CD shredder is a no-brainer to use and requires no technical knowledge of any kind.’
- ‘These tire shredders are incapable of shredding tires in excess of size 17 due to the diameter of the wire in the tire sidewall.’
- ‘On the basis that specialist equipment - bins, banks, balers, compactors, skips, shredders - and facilities are required, suppliers must have surety of payment.’
- ‘A conveyor then drops the cheese down into the shredder where a set of knives spin at a high rate of speed to shred the product.’
- ‘When a trucker whose RFID card grants him port access approaches the gate, the gate goes up, and the tire shredders stay down.’
- ‘They now have a bigger incinerator and have invested in fine shredders.’
- ‘It consisted of a father and son who had a truck with a shredder on it.’
- ‘Urschel Laboratories Inc. designs and manufactures cheese shredders.’
- 1.1A device for reducing documents to small unreadable strips.‘most shredders can handle at least five sheets of paper at a time’
- ‘Shredders are available for as little as £10.’
- ‘In my home office, I have a computer, photocopier, fax, shredder, cordless phone and scanner.’
- ‘Ideally, use a shredder with a cross-cut action, as these turn paper into tiny pieces of confetti.’
- ‘Safely disposing of any financially sensitive information took up too much time, especially after my shredder conked out.’
- ‘The single greatest deterrent to identity theft is probably a paper shredder.’
- ‘"Your call," he says, as he shuffles my presentation closer to the shredder.’
- ‘A good tool for combating the crooks is a paper shredder.’
- ‘"You might as well throw these in your shredder," she said, digging some papers out of her brief case.’
- ‘Has your company got a shredder?’
- ‘If you haven't already, make sure everybody in your organization has easy access to a decent crosscut shredder.’
2A musician who plays a very fast, intricate style of rock lead guitar.‘the guitarists are skilled, but not the fastest shredders around’
- ‘When the house lights go down this fall, a new generation of axe shredders, drummers and fearless frontmen will come together and rock.’
- ‘In the blusterless world of modern indie rock, she's something of an anomaly: an honest-to-God shredder.’
- ‘This CD gives you many of Vai's contributions to various film soundtracks, adding a greater depth and dimension to his musical scope rather than being just another guitar shredder.’
- ‘The performances on A Concept from Fire are technically flawless - but that is the bare minimum in an age where metal musicians practice constantly and shredders are commonplace.’
- ‘Along with a few shredder friends, I saw him perform at a local guitar shop.’
- ‘While too many shredders today rely on stock scales and mechanical articulation, Holt and Altus deliver a master class in how to make solos kick ass.’
- ‘The Massachusetts-based Cave In originated in the mid 1990s as a brutal, dynamic, metal-tinged hardcore band akin to influential shredders like Converge, Coalesce, and Botch.’
- ‘An early example of 'shredding', but with a sense of melody that most shredders lack.’
- ‘The Swedish neo-classical guitar shredder has a new album out.’
- ‘When Black Mountain evoke shredders of yesteryear such Blue Cheer and Led Zeppelin, their technique falls nearer to Galaxie 500 and the Velvet Underground, who forsook showmanship and dug deep in search of music's fundamental soul.’
3informal A snowboarder.
- ‘During the season, Ski Acres had constructed a big air kicker as a way of enticing snow shredders to their slopes.’
- ‘When not on the snow, this 16-year-old shredder can be found refining his skating style.’
- ‘It would be a private oasis, a white, fluffy heaven: Valhalla for the true shredders.’
- ‘His bro Kurt's a pro snow shredder.’
- ‘Upon arriving in Seattle we linked-up with snow shredders B.J. Kaiser and Tim Carlson.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.