One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place of beauty or interest attracting many visitors.
- ‘Last year the bunker on Reinhart Street, inaccessible until 1990, was opened as a showplace for street artists.’
- ‘Nearly 400 people crammed into Harlem's Studio Museum, an impressive showplace for the work of black artists just a stone's throw from the legendary Apollo Theater, for the glitzy party my publisher threw for the launch of my latest book.’
- ‘The man seen by many as Enemy No.1 of the environment has built a showplace of ecological sensitivity.’
- ‘Now that the Premiership is a global showplace, all that's changed.’
- ‘He and Margo didn't set out to create a showplace.’
- ‘The U.S. Federal Wind Energy Program was created at that time, and California became a showplace for large-scale wind farms.’
- ‘Physically fit, mentally strong and confident before a crowd, they challenge themselves in the showplace while extending that winning attitude into every area of their lives.’
- ‘In 1931, he opened the Hotel Hatcher on Main Street in Pikeville and it became known as one of the showplaces of the Big Sandy river region.’
- ‘Male bowerbirds famously woo females by fashioning elaborate bowers - not nests but U-shaped showplaces with parallel walls of twigs.’
- ‘She testified that she wrote what would be of interest to her readers, the opening of a showplace for items of interest to decorators and homemakers.’
- ‘Konya was a showplace of Turkish architecture, with a collection of mosques and schools that made the city a rival of Istanbul and Bursa.’
- ‘Frank called from the ranch last week to say that they've put the showplace on the market, opting to move full-time to their nearby bay house.’
- ‘What of Yurunga Homestead, the heritage showplace of the town?’
- ‘Servers handed out hard hats to the 130 guests as they trekked into the manse, expected to be a showplace once the final paintings are hung.’
- ‘The memorial must not be a showplace of artistic ego.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.