One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place of beauty or interest attracting many visitors.
- ‘Now that the Premiership is a global showplace, all that's changed.’
- ‘Physically fit, mentally strong and confident before a crowd, they challenge themselves in the showplace while extending that winning attitude into every area of their lives.’
- ‘Last year the bunker on Reinhart Street, inaccessible until 1990, was opened as a showplace for street artists.’
- ‘The man seen by many as Enemy No.1 of the environment has built a showplace of ecological sensitivity.’
- ‘What of Yurunga Homestead, the heritage showplace of the town?’
- ‘He and Margo didn't set out to create a showplace.’
- ‘She testified that she wrote what would be of interest to her readers, the opening of a showplace for items of interest to decorators and homemakers.’
- ‘Male bowerbirds famously woo females by fashioning elaborate bowers - not nests but U-shaped showplaces with parallel walls of twigs.’
- ‘The memorial must not be a showplace of artistic ego.’
- ‘Nearly 400 people crammed into Harlem's Studio Museum, an impressive showplace for the work of black artists just a stone's throw from the legendary Apollo Theater, for the glitzy party my publisher threw for the launch of my latest book.’
- ‘Frank called from the ranch last week to say that they've put the showplace on the market, opting to move full-time to their nearby bay house.’
- ‘Servers handed out hard hats to the 130 guests as they trekked into the manse, expected to be a showplace once the final paintings are hung.’
- ‘The U.S. Federal Wind Energy Program was created at that time, and California became a showplace for large-scale wind farms.’
- ‘Konya was a showplace of Turkish architecture, with a collection of mosques and schools that made the city a rival of Istanbul and Bursa.’
- ‘In 1931, he opened the Hotel Hatcher on Main Street in Pikeville and it became known as one of the showplaces of the Big Sandy river region.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.