Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The competitive sport of riding horses over a course of fences and other obstacles in an arena, with penalty points for errors.
- ‘Tom junior and Dermot have each won the point-to-point jockey's championship twice. The brothers have considerable experience, too, of showjumping and eventing.’
- ‘Three-day eventing includes showjumping, dressage and the cross country section, which is said to have the highest risk factor.’
- ‘There is a high equestrian element to both islands, largely involving showjumping and dressage and what have you.’
- ‘One penalty point separated gold medalists Germany from Switzerland in the equestrian team showjumping, while Brazil beat France in a jump-off for the bronze.’
- ‘There's nothing fancy about him, despite being the country's first black person to break into the elite, white-dominated sport of showjumping.’
- ‘Ultimately the therapist's aim is to achieve a supple musculature allowing the horse to work in comfort and balance, whether that be in racing, showjumping, eventing, endurance riding, polo or dressage.’
- ‘As an equine physiotherapist her world is horses and showjumping, not politics.’
- ‘There have been more than 3,000 entries in the equestrian activities, which include showjumping and shire horse events.’
- ‘Phillips competes in three-day eventing, which consists of three different tests: dressage, showjumping and a cross-country course.’
- ‘To win the three-day event, rider and horse must excel in three different disciplines - dressage, cross country and showjumping.’
- ‘Riders will compete in dressage and showjumping for individuals and team titles.’
- ‘Many of the Far North Coast's most accomplished riders will be on hand to show off their skills in the disciplines of showjumping, eventing and dressage.’
- ‘Riders compete for Olympic medals in three different categories: dressage, showjumping and three-day eventing.’
- ‘Typical examples of category 3 events would include horse racing, showjumping, greyhound racing and livestock shows.’
- ‘Modern pentathlon, which consists of shooting, fencing, swimming, showjumping and a 3,000m run, was designed for the Games as the test of a complete athlete.’
- ‘The ever popular baby show will be held on the second day of the show, while spectators are sure to enjoy the dog agility and pets corner, showjumping and horse and pony sections.’
- ‘Ring events are held every day the show is open, with equestrian events such as showjumping and dressage.’
- ‘Warren has a great interest in showjumping and just loves sport in general.’
- ‘There are both individual and team showjumping events at the Olympics.’
- ‘Thousands of horses compete at racetracks and at showjumping, eventing, dressage, carriage driving, long distance riding, pony and leisure events.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.