One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An actress who sings and dances in musicals, variety acts, and similar shows.
- ‘As our two heroes attempt to avoid capture they get themselves involved in the backstage and on-stage lives of showgirls, divas and more.’
- ‘Press reports described the $1 million party as a wild, indulgent free-for-all, studded with shiny, red Ferraris, feathered showgirls and an Egyptian theme.’
- ‘She's a courtesan showgirl who dreams of being a real actress, we're told rather clumsily.’
- ‘Topless showgirls certainly aren't new to Vegas.’
- ‘As part of a series of musical numbers themed around the United Nations, a panoply of perfectly groomed pubescent boys in fanciful costumes illustrating national flags parade across the stage like Vegas showgirls.’
- ‘They launched ‘Revuedeville’ - a nonstop round of showgirls, variety acts and comedians - and when other theatres copied them she hit on the idea of nudity.’
- ‘Sally and Phyllis were showgirls, Buddy and Ben stage door johnnies.’
- ‘With over 100 tons of equipment, shows will include acrobats, trapeze artists, clowns, balancers, horses, dogs, tigers, showgirls and loads more.’
- ‘The 8 showgirls, aged between 20 and 44 were temporarily detained before being fined 500 baht each and released with a warning.’
- ‘What surrounds us - the glitz, our showgirls, the shimmer and the production numbers - is all part of who we are.’
- ‘The judge left behind important friends, a seemingly puzzled wife, envelopes full of money, a loose affiliation with political figures under indictment and, it became clear, the affection of several Broadway showgirls.’
- ‘I love the Busby Berkeley showgirls of the 30s great musicals.’
- ‘Tell him I got socked in the face by the boyfriend of a Vegas showgirl and I'm too embarrassed to show him my black eye, that he'll believe.’
- ‘She accurately told the FBI that Welles was broke and that he was cheating on his wife, the beautiful movie star Rita Hayworth, with a string of starlets and showgirls.’
- ‘His are not the Vegas-style mega-illusions involving disappearing tigers, dry ice, fireworks and showgirls.’
- ‘Glamorous Las Vegas-style showgirls dancing on stage will welcome select guests to the opening of the £7 million Opera House Casino in Scarborough on Wednesday.’
- ‘Five thousand people signed up for membership before the first roulette wheel was spun ensuring that as the showgirls high-kicked on the opening night, the Opera House Casino was already a sure thing.’
- ‘She's been a showgirl, and an actress in the 1930s and 40s, when it was still risqué.’
- ‘Las Vegas Sands Macau brought in Las Vegas showgirls to kick off its grand opening today, but its owners have lined up even better-endowed partners behind the scenes.’
- ‘The cancan, that high kicking, exuberant dance of showgirls, originated in Le Moulin Rouge during the 1890s.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.