One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A song from a musical that has become popular in its own right.
- ‘He still occasionally writes songs for friends and special occasions and plays old American show-tunes for his own amusement.’
- ‘A musical magpie of a record, it steals cheekily from everything from dancehall and reggae to two-step, pop, showtunes, electro, film soundtracks and beyond.’
- ‘Many Cabaret shows of famous show tunes make us tired of the old classics.’
- ‘I grew up on show tunes.’
- ‘Their idea of music is disco, techno, and show tunes.’
- ‘Their repertoire covers everything from grand opera to show tunes and folk songs.’
- ‘We sat in hard chairs, mostly waiting, forced to listen to show tunes, for nearly three hours.’
- ‘They were seated in the empty downstairs bar, away from the piano and the sing-along show tunes.’
- ‘It wasn't a classical piece or a Broadway show tune.’
- ‘This time he will be backed up by a posse of local musicians as he belts out the show tunes.’
- ‘A heavy US influence pervaded, with square dancing going on outside in the break and big band music and American show tunes interspersed with Marine Corps marches.’
- ‘I miss hearing him sing off key to obscure broadway show tunes.’
- ‘Not content with that, Malkmus will often tack on a coda that draws on ragtime, rap and showtunes in equal measure.’
- ‘Later, as a teenager, I took voice lessons and spent afterschool hours sitting at the piano, singing show tunes and arias to an empty house.’
- ‘We could exact revenge, destroy, damage, sing show tunes and kill without feeling personally responsible.’
- ‘The work exhibits an eclectic mastery of all styles, from show tunes to gangsta to jazz to soul to funk to pop.’
- ‘They're small town girls performing showtunes at an airport lounge in the mid West.’
- ‘This addiction did not prevent these talented jazz musicians from producing beautifully imaginative and melodic reinventions of popular show tunes and jazz standards.’
- ‘The choir will be performing a range of different musical styles from show tunes and pop songs to church music.’
- ‘My mother was constantly singing, humming, making us listen to show tunes and standards from the 30's and 40's.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.