One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Produce satisfactory grounds for application of (or exemption from) a procedure or penalty.‘a notice to show cause why there should not be a committal to prison’attributive ‘show-cause notice’
- ‘1 am giving you 28 days notice to show cause why you should not be expelled.’
- ‘On 3 June 1999 the Board wrote to Mr and Mrs Mann requiring them to show cause within 14 days why their legal aid certificates should not be revoked.’
- ‘He said when soldiers were found to be involved with illegal drugs they would normally be issued a notice to show cause as to why they should not be discharged.’
- ‘The court gave the students until March 24 to show cause why the order should not be made final.’
- ‘The show cause notice asks why the directors should not be removed, since the bank's financial position has deteriorated and non-performing assets have mounted.’
- ‘In January 1994 the auditor published his provisional findings and the notices to show cause why the ten persons should not be surcharged.’
- ‘The draft order nisi that has been filed specifies five grounds on which the respondents are to be called on to show cause.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.