One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A black felt hat with a low round crown and a broad brim turned up at the sides, formerly worn especially by clergymen.
- ‘On the other side of the second square he found a policeman, and said: ‘This is urgent, constable; have you seen two clergymen in shovel hats?’’
- ‘Village cures in their black cassocks and shovel hats, and monks in sandals and brown woollen robes, were everywhere.’
- ‘Designer Frida Parmeggiani's men's robes have the squared-off shoulders and the high shovel hats of Japan's Noh theater, and Wilson works hard on his characters to produce the bent-back hand postures of that theatrical style as well.’
- ‘The last visitor gone, the Pope donned his scarlet shovel hat, threw a black cloak over his white soutane, assembled a dozen members of his court.’
- ‘He wears a shovel hat and a tent-tike cape, and usually carries a large, red handkerchief and two crutch-handled walking sticks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.