One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A narrow strip of material going over the shoulder from front to back of a garment.
- ‘Jack's right hand slid under the shoulder strap of her bikini top and slowly began to ease the material down.’
- ‘For the height of fashion, choose the Botany crimson dress with a single shoulder strap featuring a fake floral corsage with red and purple petals.’
- ‘I also would like something that has a shoulder strap.’
- ‘Her shoulder strap fell down and she hastily pulled it back up.’
- ‘Once that arm is comfortably located and my sleeves are still around my wrist, I switch hands on the loop and insert the other arm upward into the other shoulder strap.’
- ‘There were no sleeves, only a shoulder strap, and a low back.’
- 1.1 A long strap attached to a bag for carrying it over the shoulder.
- ‘Zipping the bag back up and placing the large shoulder strap across her body she makes her way out of the room.’
- ‘We'll see lots of small leather purses with a comfortable sling shoulder strap, elegantly embossed with two or three initials.’
- ‘Also included is this protective soft case which has a Velcro closing flap and comes with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘I really want a bag that has both the handles and the extra shoulder strap like this one.’
- ‘Instead of a clutch-style purse, select one with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘A shoulder strap and reinforced handles make it easy to carry.’
- ‘Do buy the best backpack that you can afford, preferably one that has wide padded shoulder straps and at the very least, a waist belt.’
- ‘As you can see, the bag has handle straps as well as a clip on shoulder strap.’
- ‘The handbag is black, with a long shoulder strap and clasps at the front with poppers.’
- ‘He was carrying a dirty, yellow rucksack with black shoulder straps.’
- ‘Andy tightened her grip on the shoulder strap of her duffel bag and tried to keep from speeding up.’
- ‘Select a backpack with well-padded shoulder straps and adjust the straps so the pack fits snugly against your child's back.’
- ‘One thing that makes it really unique is the adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘You had to carry it by hand; there was no shoulder strap for it.’
- ‘The thing that impressed me most was that it features two little hoops at the top, which enable you to attach the bag to your body with little shoulder straps.’
- ‘At the very least you should get a backpack that has wide padded shoulder straps, a padded back and a waist belt.’
- ‘The Classic is polyester and boasts an adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘The shoulder strap makes carrying the PC even easier.’
- ‘The bag's structure is anatomically designed to mold your body, and the padded shoulder strap is intended to offer maximum comfort and practicality.’
- ‘Each camera ships with a a matching bag, wrist strap, shoulder strap and charms also designed by none other than Gwen Stefani.’
- 1.2 A strip of cloth from shoulder to collar on a military uniform, bearing a symbol of rank.
- ‘Those taking the oath wore an orange strip, known as the ‘Red Tab’, on their shoulder straps.’
- ‘Carry a small family pet to safety in a large cloth tote bag with shoulder straps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.