Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A narrow strip of material going over the shoulder from front to back of a garment.
- ‘I also would like something that has a shoulder strap.’
- ‘For the height of fashion, choose the Botany crimson dress with a single shoulder strap featuring a fake floral corsage with red and purple petals.’
- ‘There were no sleeves, only a shoulder strap, and a low back.’
- ‘Once that arm is comfortably located and my sleeves are still around my wrist, I switch hands on the loop and insert the other arm upward into the other shoulder strap.’
- ‘Jack's right hand slid under the shoulder strap of her bikini top and slowly began to ease the material down.’
- ‘Her shoulder strap fell down and she hastily pulled it back up.’
- 1.1A long strap attached to a bag for carrying it over the shoulder.
- ‘At the very least you should get a backpack that has wide padded shoulder straps, a padded back and a waist belt.’
- ‘The handbag is black, with a long shoulder strap and clasps at the front with poppers.’
- ‘Also included is this protective soft case which has a Velcro closing flap and comes with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘I really want a bag that has both the handles and the extra shoulder strap like this one.’
- ‘One thing that makes it really unique is the adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘Andy tightened her grip on the shoulder strap of her duffel bag and tried to keep from speeding up.’
- ‘As you can see, the bag has handle straps as well as a clip on shoulder strap.’
- ‘The Classic is polyester and boasts an adjustable shoulder strap.’
- ‘He was carrying a dirty, yellow rucksack with black shoulder straps.’
- ‘Zipping the bag back up and placing the large shoulder strap across her body she makes her way out of the room.’
- ‘A shoulder strap and reinforced handles make it easy to carry.’
- ‘Select a backpack with well-padded shoulder straps and adjust the straps so the pack fits snugly against your child's back.’
- ‘Do buy the best backpack that you can afford, preferably one that has wide padded shoulder straps and at the very least, a waist belt.’
- ‘Instead of a clutch-style purse, select one with a shoulder strap.’
- ‘The shoulder strap makes carrying the PC even easier.’
- ‘The thing that impressed me most was that it features two little hoops at the top, which enable you to attach the bag to your body with little shoulder straps.’
- ‘You had to carry it by hand; there was no shoulder strap for it.’
- ‘We'll see lots of small leather purses with a comfortable sling shoulder strap, elegantly embossed with two or three initials.’
- ‘The bag's structure is anatomically designed to mold your body, and the padded shoulder strap is intended to offer maximum comfort and practicality.’
- ‘Each camera ships with a a matching bag, wrist strap, shoulder strap and charms also designed by none other than Gwen Stefani.’
- 1.2A strip of cloth from shoulder to collar on a military uniform, bearing a symbol of rank.
- ‘Those taking the oath wore an orange strip, known as the ‘Red Tab’, on their shoulder straps.’
- ‘Carry a small family pet to safety in a large cloth tote bag with shoulder straps.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.