One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gymnastic movement in which, starting from a supine position, the torso and legs are raised vertically over the head and supported on the shoulders and arms.
- ‘They soar, spin, and dive to the floor, then spiral swiftly back to shoulder stands, splits and endless balances.’
- ‘Level One concentrated on basic moves including forward rolls, backward rolls and shoulder stands.’
- ‘Some children imitate the dancers' wide lunges and angular body shapes; the more adventurous do layouts, arabesques, crouches, and even a shoulder stand.’
- ‘Avoid the headstand or other inverted poses, such as the plow and shoulder stand.’
- ‘The lights abruptly come up on Firth in a shoulder stand on a chair, moving in a way that he appears to be falling upwards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.