Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A shaped pad sewn into the shoulder of a garment to provide bulk and shape.
- ‘The image might be one of shoulder pads, swimsuits, big hair and bigger make-up - but Miss York is back and is looking to crown a new city champion.’
- ‘Especially in New York, where people are focusing on bad '80s fashion, like shoulder pads and leg warmers.’
- ‘To make your upper body look more muscular, wear small shoulder pads in your blazers, jackets and sports jackets.’
- ‘Opt for jackets with a natural shoulder and avoid ones with shoulder pads - in some cases, the pads can be removed for a better fit.’
- ‘Round out the neckline with necklaces, scarves and other accessories, and use shoulder pads.’
- ‘Jacket lapels, shoulder pads and waist tapering emphasize the strong upper body of a male.’
- ‘I want to be a ‘good’ lawyer, not a bad lawyer who helps the rich get richer and wears a suit with shoulder pads.’
- ‘Today she's wearing a military-style blazer that could well be harbouring a pair of shoulder pads.’
- ‘The purpose of shoulder pads is to square out your shoulders and to help your suit hang properly.’
- ‘Outer fabric, interfacings, linings, shoulder pads, and finishes all react differently when washed.’
- ‘So it was only a matter of time before shoulder pads, designer jeans, leg warmers, wide belts, layered peasant skirts and big, broad, blowout hair started to look good to us again.’
- ‘The songs are anthems for those bedecked in shoulder pads and leg warmers, and yet again it seems that what goes around comes around.’
- ‘The car went backwards and I grabbed the car seat and the shoulder pad of his jacket.’
- ‘Another way to optically broaden your shoulders is to wear suits and jackets with discreet shoulder pads.’
- ‘In the Seventies and Eighties the ‘Selnec’ orange bus was just as familiar on the streets of Greater Manchester as flares, tank tops and shoulder pads.’
- ‘Have you considered shoulder pads and epaulettes?’
- ‘Fine-tune the shoulder pad position in a garment.’
- ‘I cannot imagine women nowadays wearing that floral dress - especially with the shoulder pads!’
- ‘He was wearing a large black cloak, with the a flag stitched onto the right shoulder pad.’
- ‘If the garment has shoulder pads, pin them in place on the inside of the pinned garment.’
- 1.1A hard protective pad for the shoulders used in certain sports, such as ice hockey and American football.
- ‘When the game ended and we went to the locker room I threw off my shirt and shoulder pads.’
- ‘He rarely is penalized because he seldom touches an opponent above the shoulder pads.’
- ‘Rogers, who is returning from a broken right collarbone, wears a rubber shoulder pad during workouts as a precaution.’
- ‘But any day now I expect to receive a photo of Satch wearing a football helmet and shoulder pads.’
- ‘If he does participate, Rogers likely will wear a rubber shoulder pad to reduce the impact of any incidental hits.’
- ‘The Mayor's first official engagement, last Friday saw him swap his robes and chains for shoulder pads and an American football shirt.’
- ‘The only sound he is aware of is his shoulder pads thumping against his torso as he dashes downfield.’
- ‘Nike has designed a vest to be worn under shoulder pads that is supposed to keep players cool during hot games.’
- ‘She smiled and brushed some grass off my shoulder pad.’
- ‘For two years, he wore a ‘Michigan State Grandma’ T-shirt under his shoulder pads to honor his late grandmother, Louise Elliott.’
- ‘For example, there's no evidence that shoulder pads in football prevent injuries since guys just hit harder than ever.’
- ‘When Taylor reached the sideline, doctors knew from simply reaching under his shoulder pads that Taylor's season was over.’
- ‘The only problem is that Schulters' helmet still hasn't hit Ward's, and the replays clearly showed it was a clean hit with his shoulder pad.’
- ‘He pulled his jersey and shoulder pads over his head, peeked out through the hole where his head had been and said, ‘Ten points.’’
- ‘I went to the locker room and slipped into my shoulder pads and helmet.’
- ‘I was there on the sideline in shoulder pads and my leather helmet.’
- ‘After practices, Johnson happily fulfills his rookie tasks, carrying the shoulder pads of veterans to the locker room.’
- ‘I don't want him running around an American football field in shoulder pads and a helmet.’
- ‘There, taped to the back of his shoulder pads, was a newspaper article with the headline: ‘Doss does it for Mom.’’
- ‘The league also might want to do something about the oversized chest protectors and shoulder pads.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.