One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The artificial insertion of random fragments of DNA from a donor organism into a recipient by genetic engineering.
- ‘As far as i know, people usually produce subclones, map them by hybridization and then start shotgun cloning and sequencing many small clones.’
- ‘In science and technology, the fast-moving field of genetics has given us some colourful new terms: it's a world of pathogenicity islands, shotgun cloning and terminator genes.’
- ‘A subset of the participants agreed to fully explore alternative strategies for shotgun cloning and sequencing the MAC genome.’
- ‘Microbial diversity and community structure in soil samples from conventional and organic farming sites were analysed using denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and shotgun cloning.’
- ‘We used it at several steps in our cloning procedure including recovery of the genomic fragments for shotgun cloning and eventual sequencing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.