Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The artificial insertion of random fragments of DNA from a donor organism into a recipient by genetic engineering.
- ‘A subset of the participants agreed to fully explore alternative strategies for shotgun cloning and sequencing the MAC genome.’
- ‘Microbial diversity and community structure in soil samples from conventional and organic farming sites were analysed using denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and shotgun cloning.’
- ‘We used it at several steps in our cloning procedure including recovery of the genomic fragments for shotgun cloning and eventual sequencing.’
- ‘In science and technology, the fast-moving field of genetics has given us some colourful new terms: it's a world of pathogenicity islands, shotgun cloning and terminator genes.’
- ‘As far as i know, people usually produce subclones, map them by hybridization and then start shotgun cloning and sequencing many small clones.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.