[mass noun] The artificial insertion of random fragments of DNA from a donor organism into a recipient by genetic engineering.
- ‘As far as i know, people usually produce subclones, map them by hybridization and then start shotgun cloning and sequencing many small clones.’
- ‘In science and technology, the fast-moving field of genetics has given us some colourful new terms: it's a world of pathogenicity islands, shotgun cloning and terminator genes.’
- ‘We used it at several steps in our cloning procedure including recovery of the genomic fragments for shotgun cloning and eventual sequencing.’
- ‘A subset of the participants agreed to fully explore alternative strategies for shotgun cloning and sequencing the MAC genome.’
- ‘Microbial diversity and community structure in soil samples from conventional and organic farming sites were analysed using denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and shotgun cloning.’