Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tower in which shot was made from molten lead poured through sieves at the top and falling into water at the bottom.
- ‘The first shot tower in America was built in 1808 in Philadelphia.’
- ‘The first shot tower in the world was built on Redcliffe Hill by plumber William Watts.’
- ‘This type of building was rare even during the 19th century and today only eleven shot towers remain in existence.’
- ‘Most of the shot towers erected in the present day are built 200 feet in height, whereas this is but 112 feet.’
- ‘Some shot manufacturers still use shot towers while others use the Bleimeister process in which the lead droplets fall only a few feet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.