One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tower in which shot was made from molten lead poured through sieves at the top and falling into water at the bottom.
- ‘The first shot tower in America was built in 1808 in Philadelphia.’
- ‘Most of the shot towers erected in the present day are built 200 feet in height, whereas this is but 112 feet.’
- ‘The first shot tower in the world was built on Redcliffe Hill by plumber William Watts.’
- ‘This type of building was rare even during the 19th century and today only eleven shot towers remain in existence.’
- ‘Some shot manufacturers still use shot towers while others use the Bleimeister process in which the lead droplets fall only a few feet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.