One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tower in which shot was made from molten lead poured through sieves at the top and falling into water at the bottom.
- ‘Most of the shot towers erected in the present day are built 200 feet in height, whereas this is but 112 feet.’
- ‘This type of building was rare even during the 19th century and today only eleven shot towers remain in existence.’
- ‘Some shot manufacturers still use shot towers while others use the Bleimeister process in which the lead droplets fall only a few feet.’
- ‘The first shot tower in America was built in 1808 in Philadelphia.’
- ‘The first shot tower in the world was built on Redcliffe Hill by plumber William Watts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.