Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An athletic contest in which a very heavy round ball is thrown as far as possible.
stroke, hit, strikeView synonyms
- ‘‘You're playing basketball, not shot-put,’ he said, trying to keep his tone down.’
- ‘After lunch the athletes were divided into teams for mini competitions and took part in javelin, shot-put and sprinting.’
- ‘What is still remarkable is her appetite for further success and the enthusiasm she enjoys from winning events she didn't expect to, such as the shot-put.’
- ‘Ten countries compete in track and field events, shot-put, discuss, javelin, table tennis, swimming, basketball, football, volleyball.’
- ‘I did pull a hamstring one season and I got tennis elbow early on because of poor technique in my shot-putting but that was all.’
- ‘We had a lot of pride in his performance in the shot-put and discus and in his gold medals and records.’
- ‘In the intermediate shot-put event, Tola Agora from Askes, defeated the All-England champion with a throw of 10.96 metres.’
- ‘Some of his shorter throws are delivered in a shot-put motion, as if the ball is filled with a heavy liquid.’
- ‘He has not let the disability stop him from living life to the full, however, and already holds the British record for shot-put.’
- ‘Everyone in the crowd is sitting just on the grassy hillside looking down onto the dirt track where the shot-put is taking place.’
- ‘The shot-put competition will be held amid the ruins of ancient Olympia.’
- ‘As the javelin and shot-put contests had already been held at the school grounds, the much-awaited races occupied the agenda for the morning.’
- ‘For weight lifters and competitors in the " throwing " sports of shot-put, javelin, discus and hammer, the performance enhancer of choice has long been steroids.’
- ‘John Godina of the United States has won the men's shot-put gold medal at the World Athletics Championships.’
- ‘This was Heidi Krieger, the 1986 European women's shot-put champion.’
- ‘Among the track and field events were the 100 metres, shot-put, high jump, and javelin.’
- ‘‘The first game I played was shot-put and I even secured first prize in the competitions that were held for the disabled in Tamil Nadu,’ Rao recalls.’
- ‘Trishann St Clair was third in shot-put and Charlene Eudovique also came through with a third place finish in women's open long jump.’
- ‘Benjamin Lawrencin earned the Victor Ludorum Award in Division I with gold in the 100m, shot-put and discus.’
- ‘She's doing well: Anderson competed in her first senior competition this year and placed first in javelin and third in shot-put.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.